Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wheat and Tares

I was really struck by a simple phrase that I read this morning. I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind. The sentence is this: “When the wheat is fully ripe, the Lord will return.”(The Second Comforter, Denver Snuffer). I’m not quite sure why this phrase had such impact on me, but it has. I hope to be able to share my thoughts on this topic.

In Matthew 13 we read the parable of the wheat and the tares. It reads as follows:
“24¶Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.”

I have obviously read this parable many times in my life. I feel like I have even understood what it says, but I guess I never really understood my role as being the wheat.

I have always known that we live in the last days, and that Christ will soon come. Somehow, however, I have confused the events that would actually lead to the second coming. When we read about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, it came because of the wickedness of these two cities. The Book of Mormon is full of stories where the wicked were destroyed. I have always believed that Christ would come when the world was so wicked that He would destroy it. I think that perhaps I have misunderstood this until now.

The parable tells us wait until the harvest, gather the tares and burn them, then gather the wheat. Obviously the wheat must be ripe before it is gathered. So what do we need to do, as the wheat, in order to become ripe?

We often hear the term “the Stakes of Zion” and that Zion is “ the pure in heart”. Section 97 of the Doctrine and Covenants says the following:
18And, now, behold, if Zion do these things she shall prosper, and spread herself and become very glorious, very great, and very terrible.
19And the nations of the earth shall honor her, and shall say: Surely Zion is the city of our God, and surely Zion cannot fall, neither be moved out of her place, for God is there, and the hand of the Lord is there;
20And he hath sworn by the power of his might to be her salvation and her high tower.
21Therefore, verily, thus saith the Lord, let Zion rejoice, for this is Zion—THE PURE IN HEART; therefore, let Zion rejoice, while all the wicked shall mourn.
22For behold, and lo, vengeance cometh speedily upon the ungodly as the whirlwind; and who shall escape it?
23The Lord’s scourge shall pass over by night and by day, and the report thereof shall vex all people; yea, it shall not be stayed until the Lord come;
24For the indignation of the Lord is kindled against their abominations and all their wicked works.
25Nevertheless, Zion shall escape if she observe to do all things whatsoever I have commanded her.
26But if she observe not to do whatsoever I have commanded her, I will visit her according to all her works, with sore affliction, with pestilence, with plague, with sword, with vengeance, with devouring fire.

If Zion is indeed defined as “the pure in heart” then it seems quite clear what we must do to establish Zion in our own lives: We must become pure in heart! A statement undoubtedly easier said than done. In John Pontius’s book “The Triumph of Zion”, one of the most influential books I have read, he states that Zion is an “individual matter” and can be achieved long before the actual city of Zion is established. Related to this, President Spencer W. Kimball said “When Satan is bound in a single home – when Satan is bound in a single life – the Millennium has already begun in that home, in that life.” Zion must be established before the Second Coming.

The pure in heart (D&C 97:21). Zion also means a place where the pure in heart live. The city built by Enoch and his people that was eventually taken to heaven because of righteousness was named Zion (D&C 38:4; Moses 7:18–21, 69). In the latter-days a city named Zion will be built near Jackson County, Missouri (United States of America), to which the tribes of Israel will gather (D&C 103:11–22; 133:18). The Saints are counseled to build up Zion wherever they are living in the world. A few scriptures on the topic:

• The city of David was called Zion, 1 Kgs. 8:1
• Out of Zion shall go forth the law, Isa. 2:2–3 (Micah 4:2; 2 Ne. 12:2–3).
• The Redeemer shall come to Zion, Isa. 59:20
• I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you
to Zion, Jer. 3:14
• In mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, Joel 2:32 (Obad. 1:17).
• Blessed are they who shall seek to bring forth my Zion, 1 Ne. 13:37
• The daughters of Zion are haughty, 2 Ne. 13:16 (Isa. 3:16).
• Wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!, 2 Ne. 28:19–25
• Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion, D&C 6:6 (D&C 11:6).
• Him have I inspired to move the cause of Zion in mighty power for good,
D&C 21:7
• The New Jerusalem shall be called Zion, D&C 45:66–67
• Independence, Missouri, is the place for the city of Zion, D&C 57:1–3
• A scourge remaineth upon the children of Zion until they repent, D&C 84:58
• The Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart and
one mind, Moses 7:18–19
• Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent,
A of F 1:10

Denver Snuffer also makes the following comments: “The Millennium will happen as people prepare themselves for it.It would do little good to have the Lord return if there were not people prepared for His presence awaiting Him. If that were to occur before people are prepared, the whole earth would be wasted at His coming.”

In my own life, as I have earnestly tried to change my life, and to allow the Spirit to bring about “the mighty change” spoken of in the scriptures, I have been drawn to people with similar interests. From my perspective I see Zion being established in the hearts of people everywhere. I see an increase in spirituality and in people striving to do what is right. At the same time I see the ways of the world going in the opposite direction. I am offended by things I see on television and on the internet.

A dear friend told me he had lunch with a former Bishop and recently released Stake President. The Stake President told him that out of 22 missionaries that went out in recent months, 8 are home prematurely because they lied about their worthiness. This same president said that affairs and immorality were increasing in his stake. I am sure they are in mine and others as well, but righteousness and goodness are as well. It appears the Wheat and the Tares are growing together, even in the church. God’s promises are sure, Zion will prevail. It is our duty to choose which side we will take. “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15) May we all strive to establish Zion in our own lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment