Monday, December 21, 2009

The Rich Young Man

Every now and then I read something that so profoundly touches me that I feel forever changed by it. Yesterday I had one of those experiences. I hope to be able to express my feelings adequately.

This is undoubtedly one of the most personal posts I have made on this blog. It expresses one of my greatest weaknesses. It is a weakness that I have always had but not really understood until yesterday. I hope you can be patient with me.

Brother Denver Snuffer is an author that I greatly admire. This year alone I have read his “The Second Comforter” 5 times and have given at least a half-dozen copies to others. I have read “Nephi’s Isaiah” twice, “Eighteen Verses” once, “Beloved Enos” once, and now “Come, Let US Adore Him” once. I have learned a tremendous amount from each one of them and have had several of these profound experiences from them. Yesterday’s came form his newest book “Come, Let Us Adore Him”.

Chapter 10 of this book is titled “The Rich Young Man”. Of course it tells the story found in the New Testament of the rich young man that came to the Savior asking what he must do to inherit eternal life.

In Matthew 19 we read “16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. “

Brother Snuffer writes “In answer to the young man’s question about what he must do, Christ replied simply, ‘keep the commandments.’ All of us may have hope for eternal life by keeping the commandments. But the young man knew there had to be more. He knew that people who believed in Christ, and people who were critics of Christ, all tried in their own way to keep the commandments. To the credit of the young man he wanted more. He wanted the kind of spiritual certitude that comes from something more than mere outward obedience. He wanted his heart to be right before God. So he pressed the point with Christ and asked : ‘Which?’ His question implies that if there was a commandment that could answer the awful need, the nagging uncertainty inside him, and if Christ would tell him what it was, he would readily conform to that key commandment. This was a sincere young man who genuinely wanted to find the missing key to true worship.”

Christ goes on to rehearse the Ten Commandments where the young man replies “And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these I have observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give it to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.” (Mark 10: 20-21)

Over the years I have learned a lot from this story in regards to not being greedy and not being unduly caught up in the material things of the world. Quite frankly I felt like I had learned all there was to learn form this story and was doing pretty well in this area…. until yesterday.

For many years as an adult I lived a pretty average life as a Latter-Day Saint. I tried to obey the commandments. I attended the Temple regularly, and filled several key positions in the church. I felt I was mostly on the right track. Of course I had weaknesses but I felt they were pretty common and that I was doing as well as anyone else.

In 2004, however, I felt the Lord “snatched” me out of my average life and said “I expect more out of you Scott” and proceeded to put me in some opportunities to really change. Then, a year or so later he said “you are not moving quite fast enough” and proceeded to tear my world apart. The next three years were an emotional and spiritual roller coaster.

With the help of a loving Heavenly Father I was able to learn from and move on from this particular trial. Since that time I have really tried to be better in every part of my life. I try harder to keep the commandments. I attend the temple more frequently. I read and pray much more meaningfully. As a result, I have been blessed beyond my understanding.

Due to the profound trials and blessings I have had, I began to think that Heavenly Father must have something very important for me to do; therefore he is giving me all these experiences. At the same time my friends were being called to presiding positions in the church and I began to want the blessings they were receiving from serving in these positions. In my mind it was all honorable and for “serving the Lord better.” I found myself wanting more. I wanted a more sure knowledge of things. I want the ministering of angels. I want greater understanding of the mysteries. All of this changed yesterday when I read Brother Snuffer’s commentary on The Rich Young Man.

As I read Brother Snuffer’s book, the eyes of my understanding were opened and I clearly saw myself in this story. I have felt that all of my intentions have been honorable, but suddenly I saw myself asking the Lord “Which?” He gave me a clear answer that cut me to the very core that didn’t say “sell all you have”, but asked “are you willing to go unnoticed?”

The last couple of days have been very humbling. I have spent quite some time pondering how noble my intentions have been. I have asked myself over and over again if I have been serving with an eye single to God’s glory or if that has just been in my mind? Am I guilty of seeking the spotlight while thinking I am doing it for God? I have prayed earnestly and have learned I must repent and humble myself again. I want my heart to be right with God. I must seek His will.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Scott. I, too, have been influenced by Snuffer's books. I'm a little late to the party -- I just finished The Second Comforter and am now starting Nephi's Isaiah.

    I don't agree with completely everything but its a blessing to be mentored by someone who has had an audience with the Lord.

    I hope to meet Snuffer someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I have emailed Denver Snuffer a couple of times and he has always responded.

    Although I read his books a lot, it is really simply the teachings of the gospel that he points out that inspire me. More often than not I read something in one of Brother Snuffer's books and several days later, when reading the scripture or listening to a conference talk, I suddenly hear the prompting of the spirit wisper some truth to me.

    Reading the Second Comforter has help change two important things for me. 1) I attend the temple much more frequently now, and 2) I read the Book of Mormon differently. I have come to understand for myself the 1st and 2nd Nephi do indeed contain the fullness of the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great lesson I learned in The Second Comforter is found in an older post titled "Forgiveness"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one of a kind Dad and I look up to you so much. I hope someday I can be half as good as you are. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very good Scott - reading about your personal experiences and how you learned from them is inspiring. Not too many people go to such lengths for self improvement. And thanks for the invite Sunday - it was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete